Tuesday, September 14, 2010

The VERY First Day

Sitting here trying to come up with something to write in my blog I couldn't think of anything really significant I wanted to share with everyone.  Then finally I thought to myself, why not start at the very beginning?

Throughout my life I had never really known what I wanted to do and had never really thought about it either.  In my grade 11 year of high school in Vulcan my mom (a school coordinator and teacher aid in the Milo School) offered my two best friends and I an opportunity to write and direct the annual Milo School Christmas Production.  All three of us knew the staff as well as the students in the school well (as we had attended school there from Kindergarten to grade 9) and decided it would be a lot of fun to take on the challenge.  Over the next few months we wrote the play, and had a blast doing so.  Around the start of November we began going to the Milo School once a week to cast the students in their roles and start practicing the play with them.  We did this throughout November and the beginning of December, and finally the day of the Christmas Production was upon us.  Now I can't honestly say that everything went off without a hitch, but what fun would it have been if it had?  We had to change a few things on the fly and keep the students focused on their roles during the production, but in the end the play was definitely a success.  The students all had fun, and my friends and I had a wonderful experience that we will always remember.

It was shortly after this experience that I finally realized what I wanted to do with my life, I wanted to become a teacher.  In the beginning I had my heart set on being a Kindergarten teacher.  Working with them during the Christmas Production was always fun, and I felt that at that age they truly appreciated and respected me as their leader.  As time went on I realized that being a Kindergarten teacher may someday be what I would like to do, but that all age groups of students can respect and appreciate you if you are a good teacher and lead them in the right direction in a fun, safe environment.  By the time I graduated high school I knew without a doubt that teaching is truly what I wanted to do, and that I really wanted to be able to impact students' lives in a positive manner.

No comments:

Post a Comment